Surfaces and Interfaces
A funded PhD position is open in the framework of a joint research with CNRS-Institut Néel, CEA-Grenoble/Instute for Nanosciences (INAC) and CRG-IF beamline.
"In situ monitoring of the growth and optimization of 2D materials using synchrotron X-ray". ... link to pdf file (details and how to apply) ...
The Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and the Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique et aux énergies alternatives (CEA) have jointly constructed and now operate the CRG-IF beamline at ESRF in order to propose powerful X-ray beams to french surface researchers. One third of the beamtime is allocated in counterpart to the european scientific community. This beamline opened at the beginning of the ESRF, was the first CRG Beamline operational. BM32 is now composed of technical and scientific staff coming from CNRS (INP/SPrAM UMR 5819 and Institut Néel), and CEA (DSM/INAC/SP2M/NRS).
Two instruments are available to offer a complementary characterization of surfaces and interfaces in soft and hard condensed matter:
- (1) In-situ study of atomic layers growth under ultra high vacuum is allowed in the In Situ Nanostructures and Surfaces (INS) hutch.
- (2) The multitechnic goniometer (GMT) working in air offers large possibilities to investigate interfaces between different elements or states of matter.
A new instrument (since march 2006) designed for submicronic focussed white beam (Laue) diffraction:
- (3) Determination of the local orientation and complete lattice unit cell (full strain tensor) of submicronic grains in polycristalline materials (Laue MicroDiffraction)
Beamtime can be allocated by submitting proposals to two scientific program committees:
- French or CRG beamtime through French committees (shared with SOLEIL synchrotron committees)
- standard ESRF beamtime through ESRF international committees.
When choosing the suited instrument for your experiments during the electronic submission procedure please:
- for UHV + goniometer in INS hutch (former name SUV) select IF-INS
- for GMT goniometer (monochromatic beam) in GMT hutch select IF-GMT
- for Laue Microdiffraction installation (polychromatic beam) in GMT hutch select IF-GMT
(1) Beamtime Proposals on FRENCH CRG-beamtime must be submitted at synchrotron SOLEIL (SUNSET server)
before the 15th february 2016 23:59 french time
ffor the period from the end of august 2016 to end of February 2017. Beamtime is reserved to french laboratories or academic groups
(2) Beamtime Proposals on INTERNATIONAL ESRF beamtime must be submitted at ESRF users server
before the 1rst of March 2016 23:59 french time
for the period from the end of august 2016 to end of February 2017. Beamtime is reserved to laboratories or academic groups of european ESRF contributors countries (including France)
see more details in BM32 User guide
Beamline activites and capabilities are described in the pages of this website. Scientific production is listed in Beamline & Publications and with corresponding impact metrics:
Optics Hutch has been completely refurbished since January 2006. It has allowed to improve the X-ray Beam features coming in the two experimental hutches (flux, spot size on sample and energy resolution...) and namely to achieve a sub micrometric beamsize via a pinhole and two focussing mirrors.
|CRG-IF BM 32|
|Practical User guide||Location|