In 2005, 683.25 shifts (5466 hours) of beam were scheduled, of which 5296 hours of beam were effectively delivered (including 39.4 hours of refills). This represents a beam availability of 97.6%. Dead time due to failures accounts for the remaining 2.4% (see Table 7). In March there was a serious failure originating from a water leak into the ring vacuum on the cell-15 crotch absorber (see below); this resulted in the loss of five days. In order to return this lost time to the users of the ESRF, the October shutdown was shortened and five days of USM added with proper advanced re-scheduling. The figure of beam availability has been modified retroactively. The Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) reached 44.4 hours.

Table 7: Summary of the Machine Operation in 2005.

Due to a number of water leaks (see below), the beam availability and the MTBF are slightly below the 2004 figure (namely 97.95% and 49 h). The beam losses were rather uniformly distributed over the year. In July 2005, the beam was delivered in 16 bunch mode for 7 days in a row without interruption (see Figure 162).

Fig. 162: 168 hours of beam delivery without interruption.