last modified 18-11-2009 17:13
The SSL Gateway allows accessing internal computing resources like email and Intranet from any client computer on the Internet.
- Only a Web browser is necessary on the client computer, so no dedicated software has to be installed.
- Communication with the SSL Gateway is encrypted, so passwords do not transit in clear text.
- email can be accessed transparently provided the mailer program is correctly configured (e.g Thunderbird imap and smtp servers have to be ssl.esrf.fr in SSL mode)
- The Basic mode of the SSL Gateway - based on the site password, allows:
- to browse the Intranet, including the Absence application (Pleiades),
- to use the eGroupWare Calendar,
- to use a basic ssh connection to NICE,
- to launch a Windows Remote Desktop for accessing a Windows PC inside the ESRF (Troubleshooting),
- to access files on the internal Windows File sharing.
- The VPN mode of the SSL Gateway is almost never needed unless a very specific setup is required. It is restricted to several users at the ESRF.
- X11-based UNIX applications require either ssh or NX - also based on the site password.
Detailed User's manual.