The SSL Gateway allows accessing internal computing resources like email and Intranet from any client computer on the Internet.
- Only a Web browser is necessary on the client computer, so no dedicated software has to be installed.
- Communication with the SSL Gateway is encrypted, so passwords do not transit in clear text.
- email can be accessed transparently provided the mailer program is correctly configured (e.g Thunderbird imap and smtp servers have to be ssl.esrf.fr in SSL mode)
The Basic mode of the SSL Gateway - based on the site password, allows:
- to browse the Intranet, including the Absence application (Pleiades),
- to use the eGroupWare Calendar,
- to use a basic ssh connection to NICE,
- to launch a Windows Remote Desktop for accessing a Windows PC inside the ESRF (Troubleshooting),
- to access files on the internal Windows File sharing.
- The VPN mode of the SSL Gateway is almost never needed unless a very specific setup is required. It is restricted to several users at the ESRF.
- X11-based UNIX applications require either ssh or NX - also based on the site password.